So, the AP and New York Post have reported that Murders are up by a HUGE amount in New York, and other major cities.. Yea.. Whatever.
In fact, they are up. Houston has report an increase in murders.. But that could be due to the tens of thousands of Katrina refugees still housed in that city. If you look at the murders per capita, they're murder rate is down.
New York.. Ah, the hot bed of Socialism in the United States.. They deserve a blog all to themselves. So, they're murder rate is up 10%, and they have no Katrina Refugees.. So it's all Bush's fault. End of Story. Right?
Not by a long shot.
Let's look at the murder rate in New York over the last 15 years, thanks to the lovely folks over at the Disaster Center. 15 years should give us a pretty good trend line.. And just to make it interesting, let's look at that population, just to see if IT might have any effect what so ever.
- 1991 - Population 18,058,000 - Murders 2,571
- 1992 - Population 18,119,000 - Murders 2,397
- 1993 - Population 18,197,000 - Murders 2,420
- 1994 - Population 18,169,000 - Murders 2,016
- 1995 - Population 18,136,000 - Murders 1,550
- 1996 - Population 18,185,000 - Murders 1,353
- 1997 - Population 18,137,000 - Murders 1,093
- 1998 - Population 18,175,000 - Murders 924
- 1999 - Population 18,196,601 - Murders 903
- 2000 - Population 18,976,457 - Murders 952
- 2001 - Population 19,084,350 - Murders 960
- 2002 - Population 19,134,293 - Murders 909
- 2003 - Population 19,212,425 - Murders 934
- 2004 - Population 19,280,727 - Murders 889
- 2005 - Population 19,254,630 - Murders 874
Just for comparison..
1965 - Population 18,073,000 - Murders 836
So with 1.2 million MORE people, the murder rate is almost the same as it was in the 1960's.. These are the figures for the ENTIRE state of New York, however seeing how 99% of the crime is centered there, it works for us.
So murders, ON THE WHOLE, have been DECLINING for the last 15 years. That's through 3 presidents, a huge number of anti AND Pro gun legislation, 2 terrorist attacks, I don't know how many Governors, 6 FBI investigations into the NY PD, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree.
When are they going to learn. It doesn't help to make GUNS illegal, we need stiffer penalties. AND, with good police work, you can make a difference! The media wrote that report, wanting you to believe that the murder rate going up this year is some sort of HUGE deal! They could go up by 100%, and it still wouldn't be as high as it was in 1994! This is what they call RESPONSIBLE writing.