Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Survival..

So I was asked to teach another survival class at FAS this year. You may (or may not) remember I taught there last year. The one complaint I received was that there was no portion of the class dedicated to butchering animals. The students believed that they should have been taught how to butcher a rabbit or a chicken or something. This year, we listened, and brought 9 New Zealand Rabbits for the class to butcher.

PHOTO WARNING. THIS IMAGE IS VERY GRAPHIC, BY CLICKING ON THIS LINK, YOU ARE EXPESSING YOUR DESIRE TO SEE THIS PICTURE!

Now I only kill things that are:
A. Actively trying to kill me, or a member of my immediate family
B. Things I intend to eat

These rabbits fell into the later catagory. We got them cleaned up, and chilled, then enjoyed them that night with a little salt and pepper, cooked over an honest to goodness campfire.

At the end, everybody had a good time, and EVERYBODY wanted to know if we could do an advanced class in spring.. Sweet..