Monday, April 04, 2005

Sunday..

I awoke bright and early, about 10:30am, to the phone ringing. It was the vice-president of the Search and Rescue Team I work with. He explained that there was a train wreck, and we were dispatched, how fast could I be at the building? So this is how I got to spend my Sunday. A west bound Amtrak Train de-railed and my SAR team was called out to assist the local fire department, (we are all EMT's for the most part.) Can you say Mass Casualty Incident?


So we jumped in our trusty Rescue truck and ran code 3, (lights and sirens) all the way there. When we arrived, the Incident Commander immediately sent us up to Triage (french word meaning "to sort"). I met up with the Medical Group Supervisor, he said that it was all under control, they had 114 bumps and bruises, that's it, we could go back in service.

Having had to deal with a train accident before, I wasn't looking forward to another, thank goodness nobody got hurt. Although a couple of our new EMT's, fresh out of school, were a little disappointed. Oh well. There WILL be other incidents, I promise.

No comments: