Friday, April 08, 2005

New Dollar?

So, there is a new boy on the block..
A new face..
A new.. Dollar?
I have started reading about the Liberty Dollar, a new form of currency that is backed by gold and silver. They only issue as much money as they can back by the gold or silver, and they claim it's redeemable almost ANYWHERE! They issue $1, $5, $10 silver notes and pure silver coins, along with $500 gold notes and coins. Seems simple enough!

Now my interest is piqued.. I am a big fan of having some "other" form of money around, be it in precious metals, rare books or coins, or whatever, as long as it ain't greenback, but this seems a little, well, too good.
So, my question. Does any of you, out there, know anything about this. Anything at all. Please, clue me in!

3 comments:

Tom said...

A novel idea, especially when people talk about the threat of economical collapse. Supposedly gold and silver *always* hold their value and are the first things of value to show up immediately after economical collapse. Or at least that's what the gold/silver people tell you. In reality, the first documented type of economy to show up after economic collapse no matter what the cause, is the barter system. At that point paper is paper, but if you have a skill or a bushell of apples, that's what is worth the most.

Have you considered getting some Euro? I'm not a big fan, but it's already been established for a few years.

I suppose it's all in what you're planning to use it for. Get some Liberty Bux, get some Euros, and stockpile some beans.

Rescue Mike said...

I just like the idea of having the precious metals "in reserve" in the safe. And if the wife and I ever experience our own "economic collapse" we have them there and can convert them at any time. They may fluctuate a couple bucks either direction, but, barring another stock market manipulation, they seem to hold their value.

As for the beans.. I would sooner stockpile guns and ammo. If the US has an economic collapse, THEY are going to be the ultimate barter item, especially the ammo! But somehow, I just don't see our economy going TU.

Tom said...

I don't think so, either. We will experience flucuations, but it would take a catastrophic event to do it in good.