Tuesday, November 02, 2004

New School

OK, as you have probably noticed, I am a big supporter of an individuals right to Keep and Bear Arms. HOWEVER, with gun ownership comes responsibility. To fully accept that responsibility, you need to go out and get some firearms training. Here in Washington, we have a top notch school, The Firearms Academy of Seattle. Now, I have gone through their FAS 2,3,4,5 as well as their FAS Defensive Shotgun class. These classes were VERY well taught, with an emphasis on safety, and our state laws. I enjoyed my time there, and consider the money spent there as an investment. I consider the owners to be friends, and if they called, I would come to their assistance in a heartbeat! With that said, I also profess that I am not a gun school snob. I know there are other excellent schools like Gunsite, Insights, FrontSight, Lethal Force Institute, and a host of others.

So, with this said, allow me to introduce the new kid on this block. "This Block, Mike?" Yes, this block. For this school is not new, it is merely new to us in the Pacific Northwest. Clint Smith's 'Thunder Ranch'. Check out the Article in the Liberal Rag 'The Oregonian' titled "Oregon gets gun school with a reputation". It made the FRONT PAGE, is suprisingly well written, objective, even supportive! One quote I loved was from the town Manager, who said:
Lakeview town manager Roberta Huddleston thinks most of the 7,400 residents of economically strapped Lake County are delighted about the arrival of the shooting school.

Nice. You better believe I'll be spending my money there! When you have a business that is as controversial as a gun school, it is important to have the support of the community around you. These are the first people your students are going to interact with. If they have a bad experience, they won't come back. However, it sounds like Clint and Heidi have their collective 'Ducks" in a row.

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest Clint, and Heidi, welcome home. Look for both my wife and I to be attending one of your first classes.


No comments: