Sunday, October 24, 2004

One Year Ago....

Holy Crap, I can't believe it. One year ago I started the fire academy here. Although I am just a volunteer firefighter, we still go through a 10 week academy, and a one year probationary period, just like almost every other firefighter in the USofA. They don't just allow any Joe off the street in, either. I had to go through a written test, physical fitness test, and oral interview before I was accepted into the academy, then had to pass the academy.

Our final exam, (one of them) was a live fire training exercise. We filled a house with debris, then set it ablaze. Our class, (pictured below) was divided in "Engine Companies" who took turns going in and extinguishing the blaze. This went on ALL DAY. At the end, we light up the entire house, let it get good and going, then the class gathers in front for a picture.



I enjoy being a Firefighter/EMT. I work for a great Fire Dept. The chief is good, training is excellent, and I like my Captain. The crew I work with are some of the best people I know.

As a matter of fact, I got home this morning (12:30 am) from the station. I had to go in and man a second out engine because we had a fire at a gas station. They had a fire, but it was controlled so-to-speak, and ended up being nothing. It turned out that they were receiving a fuel shipment, and the vapor recover system was over-loaded with the fuel vapors. This causes a fail-safe system to kick. This safety system is in an exhaust chimney, and it LIGHTS the fuel vapor! Now, it turns out that this is actually a common occurrence, but it still shocked the daylights out of me to learn it!

"Hi, this is our safety system. It lights the fuel vapor, causing a large
fireball that scares the hell out of the neighbors."

OSHA approved this thing? OK, Whatever! Ya know what we call things like that? JOB SECURITY!

No comments: